DOH records 35% drop in firecracker injuries
Health Secretary Francisco Duque said there was a 35 percent decline in fireworks-related injuries nationwide from Dec. 21, 2019 to Jan. 1, 2020. “We expect the number of cases to increase as there are late reports still coming from the regions,” Duque said. “Most additional injuries at this time come from children picking up unexploded fireworks from the streets.” MANILA – The numberof injuries due to fireworks has decreased in the run-up toNew Year’s Day 2020, according to the Department of Health (DOH). He added that most of the cases were recorded in Metro Manila. Duque renewed its call for a total ban in firecrackers use in the country as he admitted that more data is needed to support a draft bill on an absolute ban on any kind of firecrackers. Duque noted the 164 total of fireworks-related injuries tallied was lower than the 251 recorded in the same period last year but the numbers could still rise until the DOH ends its monitoring on Jan. 6. “Every firecracker, whether legal or not, can be injurious. We hope the Duterte administration will be able to create a legacy of an absolute ban on fireworks so we’ll have zero injuries,” Duque said. “Maraming ligtas na paraan para makapag ingay.”/PN No reported deaths due to firecrackers so far, Duque said. “But overall, the National CapitalRegion has registered a 16 percent drop in the number of fireworks-relatedinjuries,” the DOH secretary said, adding that only four percent of thefireworks-related injuries required amputation as most of the injury cases werejust burn and eye injuries. Children play with sparklers at Divisoria market in Manila on Tuesday. Authorities have banned the use of dangerous firecrackers, prompting New Year revelers to buy safer alternatives, such as party horns and harmless firecrackers. ABS-CBN NEWS Based on DOH’s data, top causes of firecracker injuries were due to kwitis, lusis, fountain fireworks, and piccolo. Most of the injuries happened from streets and residential homes.