WHO seeking $76 mln for Lebanon after Beirut blast, concerned about coronavirus

first_img“A week after the blast, the World Health Organization is still concerned about the health and wellbeing of people who were injured, lost loved ones, or became homeless, and it’s expected (that) recovery from the psychological pain from the blast will last much longer,” said Rana Hajjeh, WHO’s regional programme director.”In particular, we are concerned about the return of COVID-19 in Lebanon. We have launched an appeal for $76 million, and ask the international community to support the Lebanese people and show solidarity with them in every way possible.”The loss of hospital beds had “clear implications for the management of COVID as well as other medical conditions”, said Richard Brennan, WHO’s regional emergency director.Initial results from an assessment of 55 primary healthcare clinics and centers across Beirut showed just over half are not functioning, with the remainder functioning at varying levels, Brennan said.The WHO has so far brought in 25 tons of personal protective equipment (PPE), distributed trauma and surgical supplies to 2,000 patients at 10 hospitals, and is working with at least 11 emergency medical teams that have arrived from overseas, officials said. Topics : The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday it had appealed for $76 million in aid for Lebanon after last week’s massive explosion in Beirut destroyed or damaged hospitals, clinics and medical supplies.Lebanon was already struggling with a financial crisis and a rise in the number of new coronavirus cases before the Aug. 4 explosion in the capital’s port area that left at least 171 dead and injured some 6,000.The blast put three hospitals out of operation and has left three others working at partial capacity, reducing the number of beds in public and private hospitals by 500-600, WHO officials told an online press conference.last_img read more

Read more

Assam on verge of defeat in CK Nayudu Cricket trophy

first_imgOur Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Assam are on the verge of defeat against Madhya Pradesh in the CK Nayudu Cricket tournament match at Silchar today. In reply to visitors first innings total 401 Assam today bowled out 217 runs in their first innings.Captain Abhisekh Thakuri (53) and Rajat Khan (52) scored half centuries but the other batsmen failed to contribute big scores on the board. In the second innings, after following on, Assam are struggling and finished the day III at 60-4 in their second innings. Biplab Saikia remained not out on 32.The home team are still trailing by 124 runs. Also Read: CK Nayudu Cricket Tournament: Karnataka ready to take lead against Assamlast_img

Read more

We have a team to compete in Africa – Hearts of Oak’s Nii Odoom

first_imgCoach of Accra Hearts of Oak, Edward Nii Odoom has stated that he has a team strong enough to compete in Africa should conditions allow it.Odoom has been in charge of Hearts of Oak on an interim basis but has struggled for a consisted run of form until the suspension of the Ghana Premier League season on March 15, with the Phobians 8th on the league table.“The conditions around the Coronavirus pandemic can’t make us play in Africa. This is because you wouldn’t know the actual conditions in the country you are going to play in. You have to ensure that everyone is safe.But when it is about playing in Africa, my team is ready but we cannot play because of COVID-19.Accra Hearts of Oak have not played in Africa since 2015, when they succumbed to Esperance de Tunis in the last round of qualifying for CAF Confederation Cup group stages.last_img read more

Read more