NegOcc festivalgoers told to be ‘respectful’

first_img“Let this be a warning to othervisitors to respect the community where you are celebrating fiestas,” saidLacson, who was the guest of honor during the northern Negros city’s festivalhighlights on Jan. 25. BACOLOD City – Gov. Eugenio JoseLacson of Negros Occidental reminded festivalgoers in the province to berespectful when attending religious-based cultural festivities. Meanwhile, Mayor Salvador EscalanteJr. said Cadiz City observes tolerance and diversity, but this should not gobeyond the bounds of good taste, decency and accepted norms of publicconduct.  On Monday, the two individualsinvolved in the “scandalous acts” met with Escalante in the presence of citypolice chief Lieutenant Colonel Robert Mansueto. He added visitors must show respect tothe festival’s patron saint. “I call on the City Council to revisitour ordinance covering such indecent acts and further study what can be done tosafeguard the interest of Dinagsa Festival as both a cultural and religiousevent,” Escalante said.(With a reportfrom PNA/PN)center_img Lacson issued the call on Tuesdayafter some revelers flashed obscene messages and performed “lewd acts” in thejust-concluded Dinagsa Festival of Cadiz City, Negros Occidental – photos ofwhich were posted on social media. Mayor Salvador Escalante Jr. of Cadiz City, Negros Occidental (right) and city police chief Lieutenant Colonel Robert Mansueto (2nd from right) face the two individuals involved in the “scandalous acts” during the just-concluded Dinagsa Festival, at the mayor’s office on Jan. 27. CADIZ CITY POLICE STATION They submitted their letter of publicapology to the mayor and paid a fine for violation of a city ordinance.  “We would like to remind the publicthat display of obscene messages on placards, lewd acts, and the likes arecertainly unacceptable and have corresponding punitive measures,” Escalanteadded. last_img read more

Read more

Moyes wants more from United

first_img “We should probably have put the game to bed earlier,” said Moyes. “We had a couple of chances, hit the bar and had a couple of other opportunities. “We had some pockets of play when we were very good and there were times when we were not as good. “It was a mixed game at times, but we still had those chances that I was hoping we would finish off.” The one bright spot to the day was the performance of Adnan Januzaj. After signing a five-year contract earlier in the day, the 18-year-old delivered a brilliant pass to send Wayne Rooney clean through. Although Rooney’s effort was saved by Artur Boruc, Van Persie tucked home the rebound for the 26th-minute breakthrough, his first Premier League goal in open play since the victory at Swansea two months ago. Januzaj brought a superb save out of Boruc with a powerful stinging effort and then released Danny Welbeck for what looked certain to be United’s second before Morgan Schneiderlin came across to prevent the striker setting up England team-mate Wayne Rooney with a tap-in. Moyes said of Januzaj: “We have been trying to get him signed for quite a few months, not just in my time. “He’s an exceptionally talented player and one we are happy to have. “It was a great pass for the goal. “I’ve said it a couple of times, but he’s been worthy of his place. “He has not looked out of place in the team. He has created goals and been part of of some of our best passing movements. “He’s a very talented player and we will try to use him at the right times and make sure we get the best out of him.” It hardly puts United in the best of moods ahead of their Champions League encounter with Real Sociedad on Wednesday. However, for Southampton it represented another excellent effort after their recent victory at Liverpool. “Getting a good win at Anfield and a positive draw today is amazing for the club,” said Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino. “We want to keep on believing we can do well. We set no limits. The sky is the limit.” Pochettino said he could not decide who to give his team’s goal to. “I’m not sure. I would give 50 per cent to Lovren and 50 per cent to Lallana. I haven’t had a chance to see it again yet,” he added. Saints are riding high amongst the top six, maintaining their own advantage over a United side Pochettino admits are in transition. “It’s strange to come to Old Trafford and not see Alex Ferguson in the dug-out,” he said. “It’s not easy for Moyes to be under the shadow of Alex Ferguson. “But I think he is a great manager. He is a person I admire. “I wish him all the best and hope he can be successful like Sir Alex.” Press Association Ferguson was watching from the stands in his new role as a club director. But Moyes insists the Scot’s exit has not resulted in United’s poor run of form. “The fear comes from the team on the pitch,” said Moyes. “Obviously Sir Alex Ferguson has a great history and his experience will always work in charge of any team. “But the players have always been the people that have to turn out and do it.” Unfortunately for Moyes, they are lacking the killer instinct at present. United led through Robin van Persie and created countless other chances to seal victory. But they failed to take their opportunities, leaving the visitors to claim a point after Lallana got the faintest of touches to Dejan Lovren’s goal-bound effort. United have now won just one of four Premier League home games this season after Adam Lallana’s late goal clinched a 1-1 draw for Southampton. It means the Red Devils are eight points adrift of early pacesetters Arsenal, and still to record back-to-back wins for their new boss. David Moyes has rejected the theory Manchester United have lost their fear factor following the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson.last_img read more

Read more

The Latest: Bowling Green saves baseball program after cut

first_img June 2, 2020 Martin has coached the Gamecocks for the past eight seasons.___Bowling Green is working with alumni and former players to reinstate the Falcons’ baseball program.The Ohio school announced May 15 it was dropping baseball because of a projected $2 million athletic budget shortfall stemming from the coronavirus outbreak. Cutting baseball was expected to save $500,000 a year. No other sports were eliminated, but there were to be other cost-cutting measures in the athletic department.Former players began a “Save BGSU Baseball” campaign shortly after the announcement the sport would be eliminated. The university said in a statement baseball could return if short- and long-term funding solutions can be secured to sustain the program the next three years and beyond. Athletic department spokesman Jason Knavel confirmed media reports that $1.5 million would need to be raised to achieve that goal. Knavel said no deadline has been set. Employees from across the organization are helping with the effort, which will try to produce about 60,000 masks per day. “I’m from Detroit. To be able to give back to the city that I was born in and give back to a city that has given so much to me is important,” said Reginald Woods, a ticket sales representative for the Tigers and Red Wings. “To continue the Tigers’ and Red Wings’ legacy of giving back to Detroit is special.”The masks will be donated to community groups and organizations that need them, as well as employees, franchises, customers, fans and guests.“To design, set up and activate a production facility like what we have here in less than two months is truly impressive,” said Eric Brasseur, who is overseeing the facility. “This was made possible by the collective efforts and adaptability of employees across our family of companies.”A spokesman for the effort said the project is following strict guidelines from the CDC, local and state authorities and other health organizations to ensure the safety of the staff. ___South Carolina men’s basketball coach Frank Martin says he has recovered from a case of COVID-19.Martin said he tested positive last month. He detailed his experience with the virus for the first time Tuesday.Martin said he was prepping for a knee replacement surgery in early May when he was diagnosed with the virus. He immediately went into quarantine at his home.The 54-year-old Martin said he didn’t have to go to the hospital. He said he had no significant symptoms of the virus other than some fatigue. Two weeks later at a follow-up visit, a coronavirus test came back negative. Martin said no one else in his family was affected by the virus. Bowling Green’s most famous ex-player is Orel Hershiser, a three-time All-Star who pitched 18 years in the major leagues, 13 with the Los Angeles Dodgers.___Pac-12 schools have agreed to perform COVID-19 and coronavirus antibody tests on all athletes upon their return to campuses for voluntary workouts.“These guidelines are coming from our medical advisory committee and it’s their belief this is best practice,” Commissioner Larry Scott told The Associated Press.Scott said athletes will continue to be tested regularly for COVID-19 as long as they are under the supervision of the schools. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Oklahoma State linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga says he tested positive for COVID-19 after he attended a protest in Tulsa, Oklahoma. England is set to host the West Indies in three cricket tests in July, subject to government approval.The West Indies will arrive next Tuesday and travel to Old Trafford in Manchester for quarantine and training.They will then move to Southampton for the first test from July 8, and back to Old Trafford for the remaining tests starting on July 16 and July 24.There will be no spectators.The two venues were chosen because they had hotels attached or nearby and could be turned into “bio-secure environments.” ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The Latest: Bowling Green saves baseball program after cut Ogbongbemiga made the announcement in a Twitter post. The 21-year-old Ogbongbemiga says he protected himself during the protest.“Please, if you are going to protest, take care of yourself and stay safe,” he wrote.Ogbongbemiga was a second team All-Big 12 selection last season. He finished with 100 tackles and five sacks.___Called out, Bowling Green has saved its baseball program, which had been cut due to the COVID-19 pandemic.center_img The KF Bylis player was not named.League matches in Albania will resume on Wednesday without fans in the stadiums. The matches will follow medical protocols drafted in consultation with UEFA.Federation spokesman Andi Vrecani says “the championship is not threatened because the protocol has been set that such a player with COVID-19 is quarantined for 14 days and the team continues preparation normally.”Play was suspended in mid-March following the country’s lockdown.Bylis is in seventh place. The league is expected to finish by July 29 with the Albanian Cup final on Aug. 2. Cricket West Indies agreed in principle to tour last Friday.The test series was originally scheduled to begin on Thursday.___Pac-12 schools have agreed to perform COVID-19 and coronavirus antibody tests on all athletes upon their return to campuses for voluntary workouts.Commissioner Larry Scott tells The Associated Press “these guidelines are coming from our medical advisory committee and it’s their belief this is best practice.” The Russian soccer league says it will restart on June 19. That is two days earlier than originally planned.The league says it gave the date of June 21 because of a longstanding practice of using the date of Sunday’s games as the official nominal designation for a round of games over several days.The restart will begin with two games on June 19. Krylya Sovetov Samara will play Akhmat Grozny and Sochi will face FC Rostov.Russia is planning to allow a limited number of fans in the stadiums when games restart.___ Associated Press “I think it’s important to keep in mind our student-athletes come from all over. All over the United States and in some cases all over the world,” Scott said. “Return to campus and return to voluntary workouts I think factors that in.”The Pac-12 schools are scheduled to begin allowing athletes back into their facilities for voluntary workouts starting June 15.___North Carolina State athletic director Boo Corrigan says the school has begun a schedule allowing student-athletes to return in phases to campus, with the first wave of football players permitted to return to student housing by June 20.The school announced details of the plan Tuesday in an open letter from Corrigan, who said the plan is to return via “the safest and most responsible path moving forward.” Athletic department spokesman Jason Knavel said that baseball is back immediately after “our passionate baseball alumni and donors have committed $1.5 million over the next three years.”The Ohio school announced last month it was dropping baseball because of a projected $2 million athletic budget shortfall stemming from the coronavirus outbreak. Former players immediately began a “Save BGSU Baseball” campaign and managed to raise the funds to rescue a program that produced former All-Star pitcher Orel Hershiser.Like Bowling Green, other schools in the Mid-American Conference have had to drop sports as a result of financial hardships triggered by the pandemic.___The Ilitch companies — a group that includes the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings, along with Little Caesars and other companies — has opened a facility in the Detroit area to produce protective masks. Corrigan says the first phase has already started by allowing members of the football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball programs who live locally to receive examinations and coronavirus testing.If cleared, athletes would be allowed to participate in voluntary workouts, though they would be divided into small groups for safety precautions.The second phase begins with football players returning to student housing “no later than” June 20, followed by men’s and women’s basketball players.The third phase would bring back athletes in fall sports, though Corrigan said only that will come “later this summer” with additional details coming later. The final phase is the return of all other programs ahead of the fall semester.___ Scott says athletes will continue to be tested regularly for COVID-19 as long as they are under the supervision of the schools.Scott says “I think it’s important to keep in mind our student-athletes come from all over. All over the United States and in some cases all over the world.”The Pac-12 schools are scheduled to begin allowing athletes back into their facilities for voluntary workouts starting June 15.___An Albanian player has tested positive for the coronavirus but the country’s soccer federation says his club will play as scheduled when the league resumes this week amid the pandemic.last_img read more

Read more