Jamestown Man Indicted In Connection With July Fatal Stabbing

first_imgMAYVILLE — A Chautauqua County Grand Jury has indicted a Jamestown man on a charge of second-degree murder in connection with a stabbing last month. A Chautauqua County Court Clerk tells WNYNewsNow that Carl W. Sorenson, 28, was indicted on Thursday. Sorenson was arraigned Monday in front of Judge David Foley and plead not guilty. The Clerk adds that bail was set at $350,000 cash/$700,000 property bond.The next scheduled date is October 5 at 10:30 am for an Omnibus hearing.A motion dismissing the second-degree murder charge against Jamestown man Carl Sorenson was denied during a preliminary hearing in Jamestown City Court July 17. Public Defender Ned Barone entered the motion on behalf of Sorenson, saying that the defendant is “entitled to a preliminary hearing.”Chautauqua County First Assistant District Attorney Derek Gregory, however, says there’s “no basis” for a dismissal. Gregory says the District Attorney’s Office is proceeding to a Chautauqua County Grand Jury with the case.District Attorney Patrick Swanson will be handling the prosecution.Jamestown Police charged Sorenson in the death of 23-year-old Brandon Holland who was stabbed in the chest while walking on the sidewalk along North Main Street between East 4th and East 5th Streets around 10:14 p.m. July 6.Holland was taken to UPMC Chautauqua Hospital where he died of his injuries.Sorenson, according to police, is also a New York State Parolee. Officers say he was taken into custody July 7 by investigators at his apartment on Washington Street in Jamestown.A reward, meanwhile, is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a man wanted by Jamestown Police and the U.S. Marshalls in connection with the case.According to Buffalo Crime Stoppers, $2,500 is being offered for information on Jason Talley.Jamestown Police Captain Robert Samuelson tells WNYNewsNow’s Matt Hummel that Talley is wanted in connection with the Brandon Holland murder case.Talley is believed to be in the Buffalo or Rochester area. Samuelson confirmed on Tuesday that police are still actively looking for Talley.Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at (716) 867-6161.Tips can also be submitted by dowloading the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App in the Apple App store or Google Play store.Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more

Bergen Group to maintain offshore platform engines for Equinor

first_imgIllustration: Equnior’s Gina Krog platform offshore Norway / Photographer: Ole Jørgen Bratland / EquinorNorwegian oil and gas company Equinor has signed a framework agreement with its compatriot company Bergen Group Services for engine maintenance on offshore platforms.The framework agreement will be valid from February 1, 2019. Bergen Group said the deal could generate it turnover of at least NOK 50 million ($5 million) throughout the contract period. The agreement includes an option for a 2-year renewal.The framework agreement comprises work related to corrective and planned service/maintenance/overhaul of MTU diesel engines both on offshore locations (Norwegian sector) and at Bergen Group Services’ premises located in Bergen.last_img

Read more

Cricket News Disgraced David Warner to play Sydney club cricket

first_imgNew Delhi: After the ball-tampering incident, disgraced former Australian vice-captain David Warner likely to return and start his road to redemption by playing club cricket with Sydney’s Randwick Petersham.The opener is serving a year-long ban from state and international cricket for his part in a plan to use sandpaper to tamper with the ball during the third Test in South Africa in March.But he is free to play at club level and is set to make a return to the field in September.Randwick Petersham club president Mike Whitney, a former Test fast bowler said Warner will play in at least three of the first four matches of the season.”We’re delighted to have him. He’s one of the best players Australia has had since World War II,” he told the local Southern Courier newspaper on Wednesday.”He’s been speaking to one of our club officials and he has committed to the first three or four rounds of the season. Why it is only three or four rounds at this stage I don’t know.”Warner has also been linked with playing in the Northern Territory’s limited-overs Strike League.Whitney, who played 12 Tests for Australia, said he emailed Warner shortly after he was banned in April to tell him the door was open.”Everyone is excited to have him. He will be great in the changing rooms with younger players,” Whitney said.Warner has been on the books at Randwick Petersham since 2013-14, but has rarely played due to state, international and Indian Premier League commitments.He was identified as the mastermind behind the plan to tamper with the ball.While former skipper Steve Smith was charged with knowledge of the plot, Warner was charged with developing it and instructing Cameron Bancroft to carry it out.Earlier this week, Bancroft was cleared to play club cricket in Western Australia while serving his suspension. Smith’s plans are not yet known.New national coach Justin Langer has indicated he will welcome all three back into the team once their bans are served, if their form justifies selection.(With inputs from agencies) For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Read more