WHO seeking $76 mln for Lebanon after Beirut blast, concerned about coronavirus

first_img“A week after the blast, the World Health Organization is still concerned about the health and wellbeing of people who were injured, lost loved ones, or became homeless, and it’s expected (that) recovery from the psychological pain from the blast will last much longer,” said Rana Hajjeh, WHO’s regional programme director.”In particular, we are concerned about the return of COVID-19 in Lebanon. We have launched an appeal for $76 million, and ask the international community to support the Lebanese people and show solidarity with them in every way possible.”The loss of hospital beds had “clear implications for the management of COVID as well as other medical conditions”, said Richard Brennan, WHO’s regional emergency director.Initial results from an assessment of 55 primary healthcare clinics and centers across Beirut showed just over half are not functioning, with the remainder functioning at varying levels, Brennan said.The WHO has so far brought in 25 tons of personal protective equipment (PPE), distributed trauma and surgical supplies to 2,000 patients at 10 hospitals, and is working with at least 11 emergency medical teams that have arrived from overseas, officials said. Topics : The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday it had appealed for $76 million in aid for Lebanon after last week’s massive explosion in Beirut destroyed or damaged hospitals, clinics and medical supplies.Lebanon was already struggling with a financial crisis and a rise in the number of new coronavirus cases before the Aug. 4 explosion in the capital’s port area that left at least 171 dead and injured some 6,000.The blast put three hospitals out of operation and has left three others working at partial capacity, reducing the number of beds in public and private hospitals by 500-600, WHO officials told an online press conference.last_img read more

Read more

Gold Coast Deputy Mayor Donna Gates’ Pimpama property listed with “development potential”

first_imgDeputy Gold Coast Mayor Donna Gates. Photo: Jerad Williams Deputy Mayor Donna Gates has her Pimpama investment property on the market.GOLD Coast Deputy Mayor Donna Gates is selling her Pimpama investment property through her real estate agent son.Marketed as “development potential” there is scope for the buyer to build a five-storey unit block with the 818sq m property zoned special residential.Cr Gates said while the property was “a little way off” its development potential, Pimpama had experienced some of the strongest growth on the Coast in recent years.“Pimpama was always intended to be council’s biggest district centre,” she said.“The property is ideally located just off the M1 and will be close to the new district centre which starts construction next year. More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North10 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day ago40 Pimpama-Jacobs Well Rd, Pimpama.Cr Gates said choosing her son Matt Gates, who works for Ray White Prestige Gold Coast – Surfers Paradise, to market the property was a no-brainer.The four-bedroom Queenslander house offers dual accommodation options with three bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen, and living spaces upstairs and a separate self-contained apartment downstairs.“We lived there for four years and loved it,” Cr Gates said.“At the time it was overlooking cows and the grazing land. It’s actually a lovely old family home. If the property sells it will enable me to purchase a single-storey house on the northern Gold Coast.” The property is going to auction on April 13.center_img 40 Pimpama-Jacobs Well Rd, Pimpama.last_img read more

Read more

Jaguars Franchise League 3-Day Tournament…

first_imgClements unbeaten 143 rescues Lower CorentyneBy Rajiv BisnauthDEVON Clements produced an innings of pure maturity and determination, and it was was the highlight on day one of the sixth round of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Jaguars Franchise League Three-day tournament between Lower Corentyne and West Demerara, played yesterday at the Tuschen Community Centre ground.Displaying his wide array of strokes, Clements rescued his team from a perilous position, and annihilated the hosts’ attack with a dazzling unbeaten 143, which eventually took the visitors to 325.All told, Clements innings spanned 226 minutes, 229 balls, inclusive 16 fours and five sixes.In reply West Demerara reached 22 without loss. Tagenarine Chanderpaul and Chabriraj Ramcharran will resume on 10 and 8 respectively, and left with much work to do in this must-win game for the hosts.Earlier, no such enterprise was envisioned when the visitors slumped to 111-5 at lunch, undermined by a three-wicket burst from clinical Romario Shepherd, who finished with 5-60.The strongly built seamer started the rout when he had Sharaz Ramcharran caught at gully by Safraz Esau without scoring, off the fifth ball of the innings.Jonathan Foo joined the other opening batsman Kandasammy Surujnarine and together kept the hosts’ attack at bay for almost an hour, adding 51 runs for the second wicket. Foo seemed intent on counter-attacking, hitting five stylish fours and two huge sixes.However, Shepherd returned for his second spell and right away had Foo edging to wicketkeeper Kemol Savory for 43. Two balls later, it became 51-3 after Gajanand Singh was never allowed to settle, and was taken by Chanderpaul off the lively Shepherd.Off-spinner Richie Looknauth (2-34), completed an excellent session for the hosts when he prised out Surujnarine (18) and Royston Crandon (11).The visitors needed someone to come to the rescue, and Seon Hetymer and Clements battled back after the lunch interval.With the sun beating down, conditions changed, and batting became somewhat easier. Both batsmen settled in nicely and built a partnership of 90 for the sixth wicket.However, on 49, Shepherd trapped Hetmyer leg-before wicket, but by then the pair had done the rescue act.By the tea interval, Clements progressed to 68 in company of Hakeem Hinds.Clements showed a lot of composure to reach his landmark off 189 balls. However, Hinds (21) was caught at the wicket off Shepherd, at 265-7.Left-arm seamer Raymon Reifer (3-88) then claimed the final three wickets of Kassim Khan (8), Raun Johnson (0) and Nial Smith (6).Meanwhile, summarised scores from the other three games are as follows:At Everest: Upper Corentyne were dismissed for 222 on the back of a shot-filled 92 from Assad Fudadin which came off just 99 balls. Clinton Pestano supported well with 49. Bowling for East Bank Demerara, Steven Jacobs took 4-97, Stephan Harris had 3-57 and Budan Baksh claimed 2-19. East Bank Demerara in reply, were 75-4 at the close of play with Danny Narayan on 30 not out. Eon Hooper has so far taken 2-8.At Cumberland, Berbice: Georgetown won the toss and batted first, reaching 243 all out, off just 53 overs. Captain Christopher Barnwell top-scored with 91, while Dexter Solomon, Sunil Persaud, Robin Bacchus and Andrew Lyght Jr supported with 42, 28, 25 and 23 respectively. Bowling for West Berbice, Keron Fraser took 5-84, Collis Butts 3-36 and A Dutchin 2-32.In reply, West Berbice reached 103 for 9 off 32 overs, with Andrew Dutchin scoring 36 and Leon Andrews 19. Christopher Barnwell, Devon Lord, Gajanan Suknanan and Kellon Carmichael have so far taken 2 wickets apiece.At Imam Bacchus ground: East Coast Demerara made 316 all out with Guyana Under-19 batsman Bhaskar Yadram stroking 118. Kamesh Yadram made 61 and Ameer Khan scored 58. Bowling for Essequibo, Akinie Adams took 6-53.Essequibo in reply are 40-2 at the close of play.last_img read more

Read more

NASA administrator rejoins board of trustees

first_imgCharles Bolden Jr. will return to the USC Board of Trustees after he left the board in 2009 to serve as the NASA director under the Obama administration. Bolden, who received his master’s degree in systems management from USC in 1977, had previously served as a trustee from 2003 to 2009. Charles Bolden Jr. is a USC alumnus who served as a Marine Corps major general, piloted four missions to space as an astronaut and served as NASA’s top administrator during the Obama presidency. Photo from USC News.The retired Marine Corps major general has a long history with space travel and exploration, commanding and piloting four missions to space before becoming NASA’s administrator. Bolden said he looks forward to coming back to USC, praising the University for its convergence of scientists, engineers, and medical researchers. “It feels great to come back to USC,” Bolden said in a USC news release. “I’m excited about the opportunity to continue my work with this great institution and its many talented faculty members, students and researchers.”Bolden also praised USC’s focus on veteran education and other programs the University has launched over the past decade. “USC is providing veterans with the tools they need to become productive and successful members of the community,” he said in the news release. Bolden was inducted into the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame in 2006 and the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 2017. For his military service and NASA career, he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, the NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal and the Defense Superior Service Medal. He also received the Asa V. Call Award, the top USC alumni honor, in 2003.President C. L. Max Nikias said in the USC news release that Bolden is a courageous leader with a wealth of knowledge and experience, both of which will be a great asset to the University. “We are thrilled to welcome him back to our board,” Nikias said.last_img read more

Read more