Sexual assault prompts prayer service

first_imgAbout 100 members of the University community gathered at the Grotto on Monday afternoon for a student-led “Prayer service for healing,” sponsored by Notre Dame’s student government. The prayer service was organized following an e-mail alert sent by Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) on Friday afternoon informing students, faculty and staff that a sexual assault had been reported in a women’s dorm on the northeastern area of campus.Annmarie Soller| The Observer The alert, the first one the community has received this school year, sparked the prayer service, which kept with a tradition started by student body president emeritus Alex Coccia and student body vice president emeritus Nancy Joyce last fall.Senior Francis Vu opened the service with a prayer.“We gather in the peace of the sacred Grotto, joined together, united in Christ to support and pray,” he said.Vu asked those in attendance to pray not only for the healing of the victims, but for the perpetrators as well.Senior Alison Leddy, a resident assistant in Cavanaugh, delivered a call to action focusing on the responsibility of the community in ending sexual violence on campus.“On Friday, the day we all received the first email report of the year, the White House launched a national campaign called ‘It’s On Us’ to end sexual assault,” Leddy said. “This movement seeks to bring awareness to and support survivors of sexual assaults on college campuses across the country. While this ambitious and worthy campaign took life in Washington, our community in South Bend feels the impact of this problem closer to home and to our hearts.“We are not any college; we are not any community. We are ND. … When we chose to attend this University, which seeks to educate the mind and the heart, we chose to be more,” Leddy said.“One is too many. What affects one of us affects all of us.”In 2013, the White House launched a sexual assault prevention campaign with the tagline “One is Too Many.” On campus, Coccia and Joyce adopted the mantra and began Notre Dame’s own “One is Too Many” campaign, which involved pledge cards signed and placed outside dorm rooms, an online petition and videos put together by student government.This year, student body vice president Matt Devine told The Observer that sexual assault prevention may take off in a different direction.“We had a lot of great visibility with ‘One is Too Many’ last year. Perhaps this is an opportunity to move in some way; we’re looking at more action words … if there’s something we can do to incorporate the idea of an active bystander into the title, then we’d like to,” Devine said.“The prayer service today is very important, because it’s the first one. It’s the first-year students’ first introduction to something like this, and it’s important for them to understand that this is our response,” Devine said.Senior Grace Carroll ended the prayer service with an invitation for all to light a candle at the Grotto and to continue praying for an end to sexual violence.“When the light shines in the darkness, the darkness cannot overcome it,” she said.Tags: Campus Ministry, Prayer service, sexual assault, Student governmentlast_img read more

Read more

Miami’s Jeff Thomas says he’s entering NFL Draft, will not play in bowl game

first_imgView this post on Instagram – With that being said, I will no longer play in the Bowl Game but my brothers still have my support 100000%. #GoCanes #BeatLATECH #StayingHealthyA post shared by Jeff Thomas (@jeffthom4s) on Dec 13, 2019 at 3:39pm PSTThomas will finish his Hurricanes career with 83 receptions for 1,316 yards and eight touchdowns. He made 31 catches for 379 yards and three scores in 10 games in 2019 (he was suspended for two games for violating team rules). He also served as a kick and punt returner in his three seasons, with a career-high 691 kick return yards in 2017. SN’s MOCK DRAFT: Burrow at the top; tons of receivers in Round 1 Jeff Thomas is on his way to the NFL. The Miami junior wide receiver announced Friday on Instagram that he will declare for the 2020 draft and skip the Hurricanes’ bowl game later in the month.Thomas thanked his college head coaches, Mark Richt and Manny Diaz, in his announcement. Thomas rejoined the program last spring after being dismissed from the team in November 2018 for violating team rules. The Miami Herald noted in April that Thomas came back to the Hurricanes after considering a transfer to Illinois, which would have allowed him to play in his home state (he is from East St. Louis, Ill., just outside St. Louis). The 5-10, 174-pound Thomas is not listed in SN’s latest NFL mock draft; seven other receivers are among the 32 picks.Miami went 6-6 in the 2019 regular season, Diaz’s first as head coach after succeeding Richt. The Hurricanes will play Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl on Dec. 26 in Shreveport, La.last_img read more

Read more

Sumner County and area football scores…

first_imgWeek #5:Andale 46 Wellington 0Attica-Argonia 59 Caldwell 0 (see stats Box Scores for Caldwell @ Argonia).Conway Springs 33 Independent 12 (see stats Conway Springs – Box Score Report – 10_3_2015).Douglass 14 Belle Plaine 6South Barber 32 South Haven 22Cedar Vale Dexter 54 Oxford 6Buhler 48 Rose Hill 0Collegiate 35 Clearwater 0Mulvane 55 Circle 7Garden Plaine 35 Chaparral 30Central Burden 72 Udall 22.last_img

Read more