Autoliv partners with Volvo to build self-driving cars

first_imgTags:#Autoliv#Autonomous car#car safety#driverless#Internet of Things#IoT#Self-Driving#Volvo Related Posts IT Trends of the Future That Are Worth Paying A… David Curry Swedish auto manufacturer Volvo announced a partnership on Tuesday with Autoliv, a leader in automotive safety systems, in an effort to build a fully autonomous system for all vehicles.A jointly-owned company will be formed in Gothenburg, Sweden, to work on the development. Volvo and Autoliv have agreed to provide 100 workers each to the project, increasing to 600 total in the next few years.See Also: Would it make sense for Tesla to buy Lyft?The automaker and Autoliv have also signed an agreement to share advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous drive (AD) patents and ideas with one another. The duo expect to see the first developments from the separate company in 2017.“By combining our know how and resources we will create a world leader in AD software development,” said Volvo CEO and chairman, Håkan Samuelsson. “This means we can introduce this exciting technology to our customers faster.”Volvo system could be sold to othersAutoliv is allowed, according to Volvo, to license the autonomous system to other automakers. Volvo will pack the technology into its own cars, which it may then sell to a ride-hailing service.The two did not disclose plans to build a ride-hailing app, which may put them at the mercy of a highly competitive market where multiple players are building the hardware, software, and services in-house.Volvo is in a better position than some automakers, since it has already partnered with Uber. It sent 100 SUVs to Uber’s Pittsburgh fleet earlier this month, which have been integrated into the taxi service.The Swedish duo will face competition from other suppliers, like Delphi and Mobileye, which earlier this month announced their own self-driving partnership. Mobileye and Intel also signed an agreement with BMW to supply internal hardware and software to the iNext, coming in 2021.center_img For Self-Driving Systems, Infrastructure and In… Break the Mold with Real-World Logistics AI and… 5 Ways IoT can Help to Reduce Automatic Vehicle…last_img read more

Read more

Suspended BJD leader joins BJP

first_imgSuspended Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader and former Lok Sabha member from Koraput, Jayaram Pangi, joined the BJP here on Tuesday.Mr. Pangi, who was suspended from BJD after the recent panchayat polls over “anti-party activities”, joined the BJP in the presence of Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and others. Former Congress leader Giridhar Gamang, who had joined the BJP two nearly two years ago, was also present.While Mr. Pradhan said that Mr. Pangi joining the BJP will be a boost to the party in tribal-dominated areas, senior BJD leader from Koraput, Rabi Narayan Nand, said it will not make any difference to his party.Murder caseMr. Pangi’s name had figured in the case relating to the murder of primary school teacher Itishree Pradhan at Tikiri in Rayagada district in 2013. The BJD had denied a party ticket to the tribal leader in 2014 elections Meanwhile, a tweet by Baijayant Panda, BJD MP from Kendrapara, created a flutter in political circles during the day. “One gone yesterday, another today. Yet when I cautioned last week, was contradicted. Now large sections unrepresented, resentment everywhere,” he tweeted. He was referring to BJD leader Amar Nayak joining the BJP in Jajpur district on Monday and Mr. Pangi joining the saffron party on Tuesday.Reacting to Mr. Panda’s tweet, BJD spokesman Pratap Keshari Deb said the MP should have asked the BJP how they accepted Mr. Pangi, whom they had accused of having a role behind the killing of Itishree Pradhan. “The BJP was accusing the BJD of shielding Mr. Pangi in the murder case, but how did they accept him now,” he asked.last_img read more

Read more

Woman raped near Muzaffarnagar in front of family

first_imgA thirty-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped in broad daylight by four men in front of her husband and her child in the Bhopa area of Muzaffarnagar on Friday.According to the woman’s complaint, she and her husband, residents of Kakrauli village, were returning on their motorbike after showing their two and half-year-old son to a paediatrician from Baseda village of Chhapar area in Muzaffarnagar. “On our way home, four men who were standing near their car, told us that some repair work had started on the local bridge and suggested another route for us to go home. When we took that route, after a kilometre, they came near us and started beating my husband. They had sharp weapons and they put a sharp knife on my child’s neck and warned that they will kill him if I shouted,” the victim told the media. “The culprits took us to nearby sugarcane field where they tied my husband in the field and put the child on one side. After that they took turns to rape me one by one for over an hour and half. After that they fled and warned us that if I inform the police they will come and kill us,” the woman said. Circle Officer of Bhopa Rizwan Ahmad told The Hindu, “It seems the culprits could be from areas in the vicinity like Bhopa, Jansath and Meerapur. We have activated our network of informers…Soon we will have culprits in our custody.” Meanwhile, in a separate incident, a 26-year-old woman was murdered after being raped and the body was thrown into sugarcane fields of Morna village in the Bhopa police station area.last_img read more

Read more

Lady Warriors get newfound joy under Roque

first_imgView comments Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Mary Ann Mendrez, who had 21 points against the Golden Tigresses, said Roque just let them have fun on the court.READ: Roque says Vicente left UE for ‘personal reasons’“Coach Roque just told us that we should always have fun, we shouldn’t let go of the enjoyment when we play,” said Mendrez in Filipino. “Because when you’re not having fun, you’ll just end up working miserably.”For libero Kath Arado, her dreams of changing the public’s perception of UE is slowly coming into fruition.“It started in the first game, I really wanted to change the peoples’ perception of UE,” said Arado in Filipino. “I’m really speechless right now, and with the help of the coaches and my teammates, we’re slowly changing our image.” Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. It took Vicente 47 games to get to two wins but Roque, who is also UE’s athletic director, has steered the Lady Warriors on a journey that uses happiness and camaraderie as its fuel.The visibly jolly Lady Warriors defeated University of Santo Tomas, 25-23, 18-25, 28-26, 26-24, in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Wednesday at Filoil Flying V Centre.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutREAD: UAAP Volleyball: UE pulls off another stunner, keeps UST skiddingRoque said that he fully embraced the Lady Warriors’ flaws when he took over the team back in late February and instilled a positive mindset on a squad that lost five straight games before he sat at the bench. Read Next “I noticed that they were scared of committing mistakes, and if you’re scared of committing those mistakes you’ll end up playing worse,” said Roque in Filipino.“Nobody’s perfect, and it’s normal to commit mistakes. What’s important is to get back up when you did something wrong and I saw that they’re doing that. That’s why I’m very happy, I love these ladies.”READ: UE upsets Adamson for 1st win Roque’s first order of business with the Lady Warriors was have them watch game tapes, something Vicente didn’t do.This off court study sessions gave another avenue for the Lady Warriors to build the camaraderie they needed to win their first string of two games since 2012.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Ginebra seals semis spot, ousts Rain or Shine MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding LOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico Typhoon ‘Tisoy’ threatens Games Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus In just his third game as University of the East’s interim head coach, Rod Roque has already matched the win total of his predecessor Francis Vicente.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Read more

How to break records: Play against India. Just as England did with a record last-wicket partnership between Joe Root and James Anderson at Trent Bridge

first_imgJoe Root celebrates his ton with James Anderson during their world record stand at Trent Bridge.There’s a certain dread that comes with diehard sports fandom: the dread of having your heart broken by those you consider heroes; the dread of not just defeat, but embarrassment at the pinnacle of,Joe Root celebrates his ton with James Anderson during their world record stand at Trent Bridge.There’s a certain dread that comes with diehard sports fandom: the dread of having your heart broken by those you consider heroes; the dread of not just defeat, but embarrassment at the pinnacle of sport. No one knows this better than Indian cricket fans.The world record last-wicket partnership between Joe Root and James Anderson at Trent Bridge that frustrated India on the third and fourth days of the first Test was just the latest chapter in that book of dread. For 53.2 overs and 198 runs, England’s most reliable youngster and a dogged No. 11 kept India’s hitherto threatening seam attack at bay. Mind you, Anderson’s last international outing had seen him block his team to the virtual safety of a draw, only to be dismissed off the penultimate ball of the match, thereby handing a historic series victory to Sri Lanka. And yet, no Indian could dislodge him for 230 minutes, 130 balls and 81 fine runs.Rewind a few months. On the tour of New Zealand in February, in the second Test, India took 15 Kiwi wickets for 286 runs with an attack similar to the one they are fielding now. But from 94 for five in the second innings, the home side went on to score 680 for eight declared, with skipper Brendon McCullum and B.J. Watling putting on a world record sixth-wicket stand of 352 runs-in the process, McCullum hit the first triple ton by a Kiwi-and No. 8 Jimmy Neesham also striking an unbeaten hundred. These aren’t even the most embarrassing chapters in the book of dread.advertisementFor that you need to go back to August 1997 and Colombo. India posted 537 for eight declared, and removed Marvan Atapattu with Sri Lanka on 39. What followed, as any Indian fan will tell you with a wince, is the biggest score in Test history-952 for six declared-and the highest second-wicket partnership ever of 576 runs between Sanath Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama. Jayasuriya’s 340 was then the second-highest score by an opener in Tests, and as he belted them, the largely, experimental Indian attack had nowhere to hide.Further back, there is Graham Gooch’s feat in the Lord’s Test of 1990. Not only did he send India on a leather hunt with his first innings 333, he followed it up with 123 in the second innings to claim the record for the highest single-match aggregate score.All these records have come overseas, which is hardly surprising considering India have always defended their home turf with a bit more pluck. Also, despite some infamous collapses, Indian batsmen have largely kept up their end of the bargain, or, at the least, not let it fall to embarrassing standards.The 42 all out at Lord’s in 1974 or the 100 and 66 at Durban in 1996 are mere aberrations that don’t really plumb the depths of despondency. In fact, the only world record of note that Indian batsmen have contributed to is Ajantha Mendis’s mark of 26 wickets in a three-Test debut series in 2008.So, what is it about Indian bowlers that makes batsmen queue up as if at a free buffet? It’s no secret that India has never produced a steady stream of quality bowlers. For every Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble, Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh, there has been a multitude of impressive domestic bowlers who have failed to make the highest grade. Part of the reason is the historical lack of an out-and-out quick who can run through a line-up. Indian pacers and spinners alike tend to rely on out-thinking and outfoxing batsmen, so on flat wickets (by overseas standards), they have nowhere to hide.Indian bowling line-ups also tended to be one-dimensional. In the pre-Kapil era, the team relied on spin; when the swing era of Kapil and Manoj Prabhakar followed, quality spinners were lacking.Now, it’s three medium pacers plus bowling all-rounders, none of whom bowl above 140 kmph consistently. The other factor is that oft-mentioned lack of killer instinct, which afflicts bowlers as well as many captains. For all of Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s innovations, he gets defensive easily. Ditto Sachin Tendulkar, who was the leader when Sri Lanka set that record in 1997.In fact, the only time bowlers have gone shoulder-to-shoulder with their batsmen, they helped shape the golden era of Indian Test cricket. With Srinath, Zaheer and sundry others manning the pace department and Harbhajan and Kumble handling spin, the captaincies of Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Kumble himself brought positive results and avoided embarrassments abroad.It’s probably no coincidence that these captains were aggressive and knew when and how to go for the kill.- Follow the writer on Twitter @11shreyasadvertisementTo read more, get your copy of India Today here.last_img read more

Read more