Emiliano Sala was buried in his native ArgentinaMercedes said she used to go over to France every year to celebrate Sala’s birthday on October 31 and stay with him, bringing with her ingredients for traditional Argentinian dishes such as empanadas. “He (Sala) was shy, but he would always stop, open the windows and start signing autographs and taking selfies,” said Mercedes. “All those fans, today, are the ones that I want to thank, because they are still sending me pictures I had never seen before. “I receive so much stuff from France, from England, from the rest of Argentina.” Dario spoke of how tight-knit a unit they were while Mercedes said she would speak with Sala as often as two or three times a day. “There was distance, but it was like we were all together,” Dario said. “He’d ask me a lot about football, about the team, about his performances.” Read Also: Salah: EPL title is the most important goal, not invisible tag Mercedes says she had never recovered from the death of her eldest son. “I can’t say I found peace, unfortunately,” she said. “I’m still fighting. “I am practically dead while living. It’s been a terrible, terrible year. I loved him so much. I would tell him every day… what a son he was.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted Content10 Characters That Should Be Official Disney PrincessesCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayThe Best Cars Of All TimeWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Best Car Manufacturers In The WorldMost Popular Movies With Sylvester Stallone6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThe Rarest And Most Valuable Card In The Whole WorldBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World The death of Cardiff forward Emiliano Sala in a plane crash a year ago will be marked by his family on Tuesday in “private, quiet contemplation of their loss”, their lawyer said. The 28-year-old striker was killed when the small plane taking him to join the then Premier League side after being bought from French side Nantes for £15 million ($19.5 million, 17.6 million euros) crashed off the Channel island of Guernsey. Emiliano Sala’s family will mark the year anniversary of the Argentinian striker’s death in private quiet contemplation their English lawyer said There are still unresolved issues surrounding the player’s death, such as who was responsible for the crash in which pilot David Ibottson also died, and, above all, the payment of the 17-million-euro ($18.85 million, 17.6 million euros) fee agreed for his transfer. British aviation accident investigators said Tuesday they would release their final report into the crash by the end of March. In September, football’s world governing body FIFA ordered Cardiff, relegated last year to the Championship, to pay the first instalment of the transfer fee of six million euros. But the Welsh club has taken the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, whose decision is not expected until June.I The Sala family – who suffered another tragic loss when his father Horacio died of a heart attack three months after his son – said their priority was for a full inquest to take place so they could find out what happened on that fateful night. “The Sala family will mark the anniversary of the untimely death of Emiliano in private, quiet contemplation of their loss,” the family’s lawyer in Britain, Daniel Machover, said in a statement. “The family’s primary concern remains for the full inquest to take place as soon as possible, so that they can finally learn the truth about what happened and ensure that no family has to suffer a similar preventable loss of a loved one.” The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said its investigation “is now at an advanced stage and we intend to publish our final report by the end of March 2020.” Sala’s death will be commemorated by supporters in Cardiff on Tuesday and Nantes will remember their former player on Sunday when they play another of his former clubs, Bordeaux. – ‘What a son he was’ – The family – Sala’s mother Mercedes and his younger siblings Dario and Romina – told the BBC when they visited them in Argentina in late December they were overcome by the outpouring of grief and gifts they had received. Even Sala’s French hairdresser had paid the family a visit.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: PV Sindhu was up in the final of a badminton tournament again. She was carrying excessive emotional baggage. In seven finals, since her win in the Korea Open, she had suffered defeats in the final. Each defeat more heart-breaking. With each loss, there were questions raised on whether Sindhu had the mettle or the attitude to perform under pressure in a high-stake final. With each loss, badminton fans were starting to believe that Sindhu would be the proverbial bridesmaid in every tournament. However, Sindhu showed her mettle and class when it mattered the most. After overcoming the odds in the year-ending Badminton World Tour Finals, Sindhu saved her last for the best when she overcame Nozomi Okuhara 21-19,21-17 to break her finals hoodoo and become the first Indian shuttler to win this tournament.Speaking after the end of the tournament, Sindhu said the win has taken a lot out of her emotionally and it reflected when she screamed with joy after winning the final point. “Somewhere, every time people have been asking the same question. I think the question won’t come again to me, asking why all the time I lose in the finals. I can say now that I have won the gold and I am really very proud of it. No words, it’s been a wonderful tournament for me and it’s also the year end. I am really very proud. The year has ended on a beautiful note,” Sindhu said after the end of the match.Read More | PV Sindhu breaks six-match losing streak, overcomes Tai Tzu Ying in the Badminton World Tour FinalsSindhu had a really good tournament and it began in grand style when she finally broke her jinx against world no 1 Tai Tzu Ying with a come-from-behind win in a thriller. After six successive losses in 13 meetings, Sindhu got the better of her nemesis 14-21 21-16 21-18. In the semis, she beat 2013 world champion Ratchanok Intanon in a tense semifinal to emerge victorious 21-16 25-23. However, it was her win against Akane Yamaguchi that gave her the mental space to do well.Read More | PV Sindhu clinches 2018 Badminton World Tour Finals titleSindhu credited her opponents fight but it was sweet revenge for her, after having lost the 2017 World Tour Finals to the same opponent in Dubai. “Whenever I play against Okuhara or Yamaguchi, I never think it’s going to be easy. Every time we go into the court, it’s going to be tough. Today each point was important, we had (rallies of) 30 strokes, 40 strokes. It’s not easy to play against the Japanese. Okuhara played well but I just gave 100% and played all out today,” Sindhu said.The year has ended in grand style for Sindhu, who had won the Korea Open in 2017. After that, she lost in the final of the Hong Kong Open to Tai Tzu Ying and in the Super Series Final to Yamaguchi. Her heartbreak continued when she lost in the Indian Open to Beiwen Zhang and in the 2018 Commonwealth Games final to Saina Nehwal. In the Thailand Open, she lost to Okuhara and in the World Championships, she suffered heartbreak against Carolina Marin, against whom she had lost in the final of the Rio Olympics in 2016. After suffering yet another heartbreak against Tai Tzu Ying in the Asian Games, Sindhu has dispelled the pain in grand style.
IN fading light, Floodlights Masters won a tense and exciting final versus Wellman Masters last Sunday by 3 runs, in a specially arranged 15 overs-a-side softball tournament, used as a fundraiser for the Jai Hind Cricket Club of Albion on the Corentyne Coast in Berbice.The final was played in brilliant sunshine and on a billiards table-like outfield. With all four teams stepping up preparations for the prestigious International softball cup tournament, the Guyana Softball Cup 7, which is scheduled to be played in Guyana on November 3, 4 and 5, a keen competition was expected and so it was.In the first semi-final, home team Albion Masters lost to their Demerara counterparts, Floodlights Masters, by 21 runs.The visitors were inserted to take first strike and opener Uniss Yusuf started like a bullet from a gun, racing to 42 with five sixes and one four to give his team a solid start of 42 between himself and Troy Ramsaywack.After he was caught on the square leg boundary, the run rate slowed up. Floodlights Masters ended on 132 for 6 off their allotted 15 overs. Essequibo’s prolific all-rounder Ramesh Narine supported with 22 and Patrick Khan 14. Bowling for Albion Masters, R Mangli took 2 for 18 from three overs.The home team in reply lost wickets regularly ending on 111 for 9. Mangli with 21, Zahir Hussain 32 and Mangli 21 threatened briefly. Clive Canterbury took 4 for 17, while supporting with two for 20.In semi-final number two, Wellman Masters made light work of Parika Defenders by 9 wickets. The East Bank Essequibo-based team won the toss and batted first but mustered 95 all out. At one stage, they were 54 for 9, but Fazil Baksh came to the crease and brought respectability to the score as he contributed 28 not out.In reply, Patrick Rooplall stroked a fine half-century to lead the visitors to a comfortable 9-wicket win.In the grand finale, Floodlights Masters took first strike and amassed 144 for 6 wickets off their allotted 15 overs. The classy Narine compiled an attacking 66 not out consisting of seven fours and three sixes. He got support from Yusuf who made 41 with three fours and four sixes. Skipper Ricky Deonarine chipped in with 12 not out.In reply, Wellman were always in the hunt with Lloyd Rooplall at the crease. He batted magnificently until he was run-for 48. Greg DeFranca supported with 20 and Jagdish Persaud 22. Three run-outs hurt the Wellman chase.At the presentation ceremony that followed, members of the Floodlights Association made a donation of $75 000 to the event.Trophies for the winning team and runners-up were presented. Ramesh Narine took the MVP and man-of-the-match in the final awards. Some of the sponsors were Permaul Trading, Trophy Stall, Hussain Poultry and Massy Distribution.
THE Guyana Football Federation (GFF) will kick off its nationwide U-20 tournament – the KFC Independence Cup – on April 27 (to May 20) with the regional playoffs, while the National playoffs will run from May 31 to June 9. Up for grabs – $500 000 for the winning team, while second and third will pocket $300 000 and $200 000 respectively.The Edward B. Beharry Group (under their KFC brand) is the titled sponsors for the tournament that will be played on a ‘win or go home’ format, featuring over 100 clubs, drawn from the GFF’s Regional Member Associations (RMA) for players born on or after January 1, 1999.Charissa Rampersaud, KFC Guyana Training Manager, reasoned that her entity’s role is not only to assist the country’s youth in realising their dream and reaching their optional, but also to be able to provide a platform that will see them grow in the sport.Rampersaud noted that KFC is delighted to be part of the footballing experience and that they’re looking forward to seeing the players in action.Ian Greenwood, the GFF’s Technical Director, speaking at the tournament’s launch yesterday at KFC’s Vlissengen Road location, spoke profoundly of the role the tournament plays in the development chart of the federation, the opportunities it will present the nation’s best players, especially since Guyana will compete at the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament, and the Independence Cup will be used to scout players.Meanwhile, GFF president Wayne Forde said the goal of the federation is to have leagues at the U-13, U-15, U-17, U-20 and the senior level, adding that “our (GFF) hope at the end of this format, the KFC group along with other non-competing partners will see the outcome of the tournament and will be able to sit and partner to help us to get to a point where we can run a full-fledged league with a similar play-off at the end.”Quizzed about how much scouting can be done in a knockout tournament, Forde noted that “the knock-out tournament is reduced as compared to a league; if we are able to do 25% scouting, it is 25% scouting that we were not able to do one week ago.”Meanwhile, he explained it is the company’s effort to help young persons to achieve their goals. It further aligns with KFC’s goal to assist young people in being well-rounded and productive members of society
World-renowned anthropologist and director of Lehman College’s Center for Human Rights and Peace Studies Victoria Sanford discussed her work in documenting the Guatemalan genocide at Doheny Library on Tuesday evening.Hosted by the Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research, Sanford’s lecture highlighted possible ways to prevent and end genocide. Sanford also showed examples proving its existence.As an American anthropologist who navigated the complicated social, cultural and historical terrain of post-Civil War Guatemala in order to successfully expose the massive human rights violations faced by indigenous Guatemalans, Sanford offered a detailed account of the means and methods needed to overcome the systematic extermination of a people.“I’ve been working in Guatemala since 1990, and the first exhumation I worked on was in 1994,” said Sanford, whose books include Buried Secrets: Truth and Human Rights in Guatemala and La Masacre de Panzós: Etnicidad, Tierra Y Violencia En Guatemala.“I never imagined that all these years later I would still be talking about it, but that’s how these international human rights cases tend to work.”The exhumations Sanford referred to consisted of widespread archaeological digs around areas in Guatemala that had known massacres. Sanford showed photos of the skeletons, bullets and remaining artifacts found at the exhumation sites, describing the labor-intensive process needed to prevent a genocide’s occurrence.“The exhumation has a lot of different parts. It has the archaeological exhumation. It has antemortem interviews, analysis of skeletal remains, lab work and a very important collection of survivor testimonies,” Sanford said.The exhumations were manned partly by Sanford and her team but also by locals in the village. They pioneered the discoveries and documentations of the Guatemalan genocide, as many occurrences of massacres were unknown due to a lack of survivors. Yet some indigenous Guatemalans traveled across multiple villages to watch Sanford’s exhumations. After days of watching, they finally told Sanford that, in fact, their respective villages had also been massacred.In cases without survivors, some massacres may have never been discovered. Sanford reminded the audience that the survivors of the Guatemalan genocide did not emerge unscathed.“What’s missing from this photo?” Sanford asked the audience, showing a picture of an adult couple, an elderly woman and a few young children. “There are no teenagers. All the babies who would’ve been teenagers at the time died during the massacres because there was no food and all the mothers’ milk dried up.”Despite the magnitude of the tragedy of the genocide, exposing the truth impelled and sustained the excavations.“When you do an exhumation, you become a part of the community’s cultural processes, and in Mayan cosmology, if you disturb the bones of the dead, you disturb their spirits,” Stanford said. “Each time we opened a grave, [the locals] would ask the ancestors to support us and ask the spirits not to be angry with us because we were helping to expose the truth.”Former president and dictator Efraín Ríos Montt was eventually convicted of committing genocide and crimes against humanity in 2013. Current president Otto Fernando Pérez Molina, who actively participated in the genocide as well, has also been arrested and charged with corruption.Sanford acknowledged that the genocide’s effect remains extensive, and her work is far from over.“Guatemala has one of the highest femicide rates in the world,” Sanford said. “Today, two women in Guatemala are killed everyday.”Sanford remains optimistic in her pursuit of justice and human rights.“At least we know that [Pérez Molina] is off the street and out of power, and we’re hoping that there will be someone good in office next year,” Sanford said. “And really we’re hoping that whoever becomes president next year will know that they will not be able to get away with the kinds of things that [others] have in the past.”
This is the sixth episode of the “On The Beat” podcast, where Daily Orange beat writers discuss relevant topics in Syracuse football and men’s basketball.You can read all The Daily Orange coverage of Syracuse-LSU here.If you have thoughts on the LSU game or the season, leave us a comment beneath the podcast. Thanks for listening. Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on September 25, 2015 at 11:31 am
After Fionn Fitzgerald’s dramatic equaliser a fortnight ago, Kerry boss Eamonn Fitzmaurice has made four changes to his side – but Colm Cooper has once again been named among the subs.Cork are unchanged from the side that started the first game.Former Kerry captain Declan O’Sullivan says that the management team will want to see more from the players… Throw-in this evening is at 7pm.
Clubs in Tipperary have again expressed frustration at the interruptions to the championship caused by inter-county games.Ballingarry are involved in the Seamus O’Riain round robin series as they bid to avoid relegation to Intermediate level.However manager James Ivors says their efforts this season like many others has been impacted on by Tipperary’s involvement in the various intercounty competitions. Photo © Tipp FM
GVC hires ‘comms pro’ Tessa Curtis to re-energise media profile August 25, 2020 Related Articles ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure August 27, 2020 FTSE-listed Paddy Power Betfair Plc (PPB) is the latest industry operator to fall foul of punter-friendly results recorded during Q4 2016.Issuing a trading update ahead of its full-year 2016 results on 7 March, PPB governance detailed that an unkind Q4 2016 closing had cost its operations revenue losses of £40 million on European football results and a further £5 million on Donald Trump’s US Election victoryDespite the ‘adverse results’ impacting Betfair’s 2016 earnings performance, PPB governance would detail to investors that its FY 2016 EBITDA guidance would fall around the mid-point range of £390-405 million, notwithstanding worse than expected gross win margins in November and December.Seeking to close its first full year as a FTSE-100 enterprise, PPB governance highlighted the firm’s strengthened revenue performance, which has seen an 18% group uplift to £1.55 billion.Paddy Power Betfair trading statement overview Company growth has been further supported by strong growth in its Australian betting division led by its Sportsbet brand which displayed a revenue growth of 18 % and a 25% rise in wagering.Looking forward to its 7 March results presentation, PPB investors will be seeking for further updates on the enlarged firm’s integration of assets and operations, as PPB looks to meet post-merger corporate targets. Share Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Share