UPDATED: Seeds advance at Klash in the Kootenays

first_imgThe seeds are heading down the tournament trail for a Saturday afternoon faceoff following opening round games at the Klash in the Kootenay women’s flat track roller derby championships at the NDCC Arena in Nelson.And the host Kootenay Kannibelles are right in the thick of the run to the final after posting a win over Okanagan/Shuswap Raggedy Rollers Friday.The Kannibelles play Red Deer Roller Derby Association Belladonnas at 4 p.m. while top seeded Terminal City plays E-Ville at 2 p.m.The winners advance to the championship final Sunday at 11:30 a.m.In action Saturday morning, the Oil City Derby Girls of Edmonton topped the 200-point total against Deathbridge of Lethbridge.The Oil City Derby Girls play in the five-six consolation game at 6 p.m.Klash in the Kootenays at the NDCC Arena promises to be a big hit for the fans and playersIt’s probably the fastest growing sport in North America and now fans of women’s flat track roller derby can see the best Western Canada has to offer this weekend in Nelson at the Klash in the Kootenays.“The teams coming to this tournament are the tops in Western Canada,” said Michelle Sylvest of the organizing committee and president of the West Kootenay Women’s Roller Derby League.“So fans won’t get to see better action anywhere.”The eight-team seeded tournament begins at noon Friday in the NDCC Arena with the host Kannibelles meeting the Okanagan/Shuswap Raggedy Rollers.In the only meeting this season between the two rivals, the Kannibelles skated away with a lopsided victory.Roller Derby has been on a rise in the West Kootenay for both fans and players. The success of the Kannibelles is the reason why region is playing host to the Westerns.“Our team had a pretty good run last year at the Best of the West (in Kelowna) so we got asked to host the event this year,” said Sylvest, adding the Kannibelles are led by National team player Beretta Lynch.The Kannibelles enter the tourney as the second seed behind top-ranked Terminal City Roller Girls of Vancouver.Terminal City meet Deathbridge of Lethbridge at 2 p.m.Red Deer Roller Derby Association Belladonnas meet Calgary Roller Derby at 4 p.m. before the final contest between Edmonton rivals, E-Ville and Oil City Derby Girls goes at 6 p.m.“This is going to be one exciting game,” Sylvest said. “Both teams are from Edmonton and there’s a strong rivalry between them.”“Fans won’t get to watch a better game than this (Friday),” Sylvest adds.Each team is guaranteed three games.Semi finals are set for Saturday at 2 and 4 p.m. — if the Kannibelles advance, the host squad will meet the winner of Red Deer and Calgary at 4 p.m.The two semi final winners meet in the tourney final at 11:30 a.m. Sunday. The consolation final is set for 9 a.m. Sunday.The winner represents the western provinces at the National Tournament in the spring of 2013.Sylvest invites the public to attend any of the games.Tickets are available for the entire tournament or for single days.For more information check out the tournament website at http://www.kootenayrollerderby.com/Oh, and did we say they’ll be an influx of players, coaches and spectators in Nelson for the weekend?“We expect to see about 300 extra people in Nelson with most of them derby girls,” Sylvest explains.last_img read more

Read more

Tigers beat Wigmen to finish third

first_imgIt was all done in the second half when the Tigers launched their comeback from a 14-6 deficit at at half time.They wasted no time from the kick off when Noel Joel wrestled his way out of a tackle to score.He converted his own try to put the pressure right back on the Wigmen.The Wigmen replied almost immediately when Kewa Kili ran 50 metres to the try line. Kili ‘ s attempt to convert his own try was futile. Tigers dominated possession in the final 20  minutes  allowing them to strike twice in as many minutes through Ishmael Balkana and Justin Olam. As an added bonus, Tigers also picked up 20 000 kina for being the most consistent team this season.The Wigmen have officially finished in fourth place.The grand final between the Agmark Gurias and the Simbu Lions kicks off at 3pm.last_img read more

Read more

Dominik Samuels: playing cricket with passion and success – Campion College all-rounder sets sights on West Indies team

first_imgSOME might say that cricket is a dying sport in Jamaica. But 16-year-old Dominik Samuels does not appear to be one who believes that. The Campion College Grace Shield team member has been playing cricket since he was four years old and in 12 years of playing at the prep and high school levels, his passion for the sport has never waned. While his father Raymond played Headley Cup cricket as a student of York Castle High, it was while still a young boy living in Barbados that Dominik’s love for the game really developed. “I influenced him, but I think the turning point for him was when I was on vacation and we were in St Ann and his cousin who was a couple of years older played cricket and he saw his cousin playing. We lived in the Bahamas, he started playing, but they don’t really play cricket in the Bahamas so there was no opportunity. I relocated to Barbados and at age five he really got to play cricket because they have a really strong prep school competition there,” the elder Samuels explained. While there, he also played for Wanderers Cricket Club and got the opportunity to play in camps with older and more experienced boys. “I’m certainly looking to play for the West Indies in the future, to play at the highest level of cricket. But I still want to balance my cricket and academics as well,” he said. “It’s a matter of time management really. I have to make timetables and understand that if I want to be successful I know how much work I have to put out so I can train in the evening,” he added. Having the strong support of both his parents who attend his games also helps, he said. As for the future, he wants to attend a school in the United Kingdom, where he can continue to pursue his cricketing goals. “Cricket is a game where you have to be disciplined and patient and you have to understand that things take time and you have to be diligent in what you do and cricket also taught me that when you fight out of tough situations you always come out with good results,” he said. “They have a pretty strong youth programme in Barbados and I must say it’s better than in Jamaica,” Samuels added. Dominik was captain of his prep school team in Barbados and when he moved to Jamaica at age 11, also captain Sts Peter and Paul Prep School team for one year, before moving on to Campion College. “It was a good experience because their structure is a bit different. They play hard ball and being a part of the training squad – because the boys were two or three years older – helped me. I’ve played not only local players there, but also from England and visiting teams,” Samuels said. Samuels has been outstanding in the Grace Shield, scoring 782 runs this season. The batting all rounder also scored four centuries, with a top score of 136 not out against St George’s College and three half centuries. He helped Campion reach the semi-finals of the Grace Shield and led them to the title last season. For Samuels, it isn’t only about playing sport. The Jamaica and West Indies youth representative believes in balancing academics as well. Having earned a government scholarship to Campion, he has been on the school’s honour roll every year since. Now in the fifth form, he will do nine subjects at the Caribbean Examinations Council level later this year. Strong youth programme The highest levellast_img read more

Read more

“Consult us – Don’t compel us” – Blairmont workers tell GuySuCo

first_img…protest company’s alleged ‘dictatorial attitude’Workers of the Blairmont Estate in Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) on Monday protested against the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) to demonstrate their resolute disagreement regarding the demands that were made before their wages were paid through the bank.Persons picketing the sugar estate on MondayWhile standing outside the estate, the workers called for GuySuCo to pay them at its offices while indicating that they should be consulted and not dictated to.The workers called for their rights to be respected, holding placards that stated “Consult us – Don’t compel us”.During the peaceful protest, many persons indicated that utilising the banking system would result in charges being laid along with transportation costs every week to transact withdrawals from their bank account.These costs, they said, are presented against the present wage freeze imposed upon the sugar industry since 2015. They are now made to pay Value Added Tax (VAT) on electricity, water and goods that were previously exempt which contributes to increased expenses.Added to these, timely payment of wages on a weekly basis is also another factor which they sought to address since their salaries are delayed on a regular basis.The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) stated, “The protesting workers shared, at this time, they are being threatened and coerced into agreeing to have their wages sent to the bank. They pointed out that should they request a job letter or seek the estate’s assistance with regard to NIS claims, for instance, they are told such assistance would be withheld until they agree to have their wages payable through the bank. This is most disturbing and can be seen as tantamount to blackmail while adding to hardships they today face.”GAWU indicated that the Corporation’s actions opposed that of the Labour Act which requires that wages be paid in money. This is in relation to Section 19 (1), and the Union further highlighted Section 19 (4), which states that it is mandatory that employers must provide wages at locations which are convenient to the employees.“The GAWU stands with the workers and the pensioners, and calls on the Corporation to do what is right and decent and to pay the workers at their regular pay offices as they have been doing for a long time now,” the Union said.last_img read more

Read more

NPSS Ookapiks 1-1 at Zones

first_img**SubmittedThe North Peace Ookapiks defeated South Peace and then lost to Kelly Road by a narrow three point margin yesterday, in the preliminary round robin portion of the Ladies North Central Zone tournament being held at Prince George Secondary this weekend.  The girls and boys zones are being staged together this year with just four schools entered in each division.  The Ooks will take the court this morning against the PGSS Polars in a match to determine seeding for the championship round. Meanwhile, the North Peace Oscars are getting themselves prepared to dispatch the Polar men in a noon start.  A win will move the Oscars into a rematch with Kelly Road in the Championship game Saturday.  Last night the Polars eliminated South Peace 85-65 while the rapidly improving Oscars lost 82 – 66 to Kelly Road after racing to a 91 – 81 win over PGSS in their first game.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Read more

Local Chamber prepares for minimum wage increase

first_img[asset|aid=3497|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=1face3560164386b9891b9306fa420a2-Tylosky Minimum Wage increase 1_1_Pub.mp3] Tylosky says the Chamber would have liked to have seen the increase phased in over a longer period of time, but still does not believe many businesses in the area will be dramatically affected by the increase. The Fort St. John Chamber of Commerce  is working to prepare members for the announced increase to B.C.’s minimum wage.The increase was not a huge surprise, but businesses will have to be prepared for it, says Chamber President Andrew Tylosky.- Advertisement -Premier Christy Clark made the increase announcement Wednesday. The increases will occur in three stages. The first increase will occur on May 1, raising the minimum wage from $8 to $8.75.The second increase to $9.50 will occur on Nov. 1 and the final increase to $10.25 will occur on May 1, 2012.Liquor servers will also receive an increase in their minimum wage to $9 by May 1, 2012.Tylosky says that although most businesses in the Fort St. John area do not pay minimum wage, the increase may affect employers currently paying more than minimum wage.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read more

Sound the warning

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! FOR a while in 2002 and 2003, burglar alarms were the hot topic of discussion for the Los Angeles Police Commission and the City Council. After discovering that the city wasted huge amounts of scarce police resources responding to personal burglar alarms set off by the wind, by household pets or for no apparent reason, officials declared their intent to stop answering unverified burglar alarm calls. After months of debate over what that might mean, the city came up with an alternate plan to issue permits and levy fines for false burglar alarms to discourage them. Yet, after all the hand-wringing, all the debate, the city is failing to collect those fees. An audit found as much as $7.7 million remains uncollected. So much for cracking down on rampant false alarms. The city must consider contracting with a private firm to collect this money. The city needs every penny it can get to fight real crime. And most of all it needs to start fulfilling its commitments – or hold accountable those who fail.last_img read more

Read more

Guardsmen accused of taking donations for wildfire victims

first_imgA call seeking comment from the American Red Cross was not immediately returned. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger deployed 1,500 members of the California National Guard on Oct. 21. In all, 2,500 guardsmen assisted in disaster relief.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Jon Siepmann confirmed that the Guard is investigating complaints that soldiers “were in possession of relief supplies beyond those they were authorized to use as part of their mission.” All the supplies have been identified and returned to the relief agency, Siepmann said in a statement. The unit had been providing security in Potrero, about 40 miles east of San Diego. Its troops had been sleeping in tents near a fire station being used by the American Red Cross, according to an official close to the investigation who was not authorized to speak on the record. Volunteers offered to let the soldiers shower and get a snack at the fire station. Some of the soldiers then took more than volunteers thought was acceptable. “The California National Guard takes all allegations of improper conduct seriously and will take action, to include disciplinary measures, against any soldiers who may have acted inappropriately,” Siepmann said. SACRAMENTO – A military police company from the California National Guard has been sequestered pending an investigation into whether troops took donations intended for Southern California wildfire victims, Guard officials confirmed Monday. Thirty-six soldiers from the 330th Military Police Co. are being bused from the National City Armory near San Diego to their home base in Ontario, east of Los Angeles. National Guard officials said they were expected to be released Monday night. One guardsman has been relieved of duty. The Guard launched the investigation last week after volunteers called the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department to report guardsmen taking supplies intended for displaced fire victims near the U.S.-Mexico border. last_img read more

Read more

Job Vacancies: Popular hair salon seeks staff

first_imgJobs: Edge Hairdressing and Makeup Artists Ltd. are hiring at their highly esteemed studio on Paddy Harte Road in Letterkenny.They are seeking enthusiastic and hard working candidates to fill the roles of Hair and Makeup Artist and Senior Stylist.Excellent wages will be provided to the suitable candidates. To apply, please send your C.V to edgehair.makeupartistsltd@hotmail.com, stating clearly which position you are applying for. Alternatively, ring Jacqui 0861730347.Job Vacancies: Popular hair salon seeks staff was last modified: May 22nd, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EmploymenthairdressingjobsstylistVacancylast_img read more

Read more

GOLF NEWS: OTWAY CLUB NOTES

first_imgThis Friday in the clubhouse kicks off the official start to 2013 with the Annual General Meeting taking place at 8pm.All members are asked to attend for the reports on 2012, election of officers for the new year, and discussion of any issues affecting the running of the club for the next year.Remember folks, this is the chance for all members to have a say about any issues they feel are important in the running of the club, and don’t worry, nobody can be forced to take up any positions on the club committee, and as the saying goes, you can ‘Just Say No’!  GOLF NEWS: OTWAY CLUB NOTES was last modified: February 20th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:OTWAY GOLF CLUB NOTESlast_img read more

Read more